Mapping Minds and Motivation

Unlocking the secrets of human development for tomorrow’s educators.
Two students sit preparing for their upcoming project.
Photography, Nevaeh Thetford

Are you intrigued by the intricacies of the human mind and its development from infancy to old age? Do you aspire to become a teacher and make a meaningful impact on the lives of students? If so, EDC 202: Human Growth and Development might just be the course for you.

Led by the passionate educator, Ms. Hickman, EDC 202 delves into the fascinating journey of the human brain, exploring its evolution from birth to the twilight years. But this course is more than just a study of neurological development; it’s a preparation ground for aspiring teachers, equipping them with the knowledge and skills needed to excel in the classroom.

At its core, EDC 202 is designed to instill a deep understanding of how educators can influence student learning and development. Ms. Hickman, driven by her love for teaching, guides students through the complexities of educational psychology, classroom management, and instructional strategies.

One of the unique aspects of EDC 202 is its emphasis on practicality. Students not only learn about the theoretical aspects of teaching but also gain insights into real-world scenarios, including classroom setups and financial management. This holistic approach ensures that future educators are well-prepared for the challenges they may face in their teaching careers.

Moreover, EDC 202 offers tangible benefits for students. By completing this course, students earn three credit hours, which can be applied towards their academic pursuits at John A. Logan College or transferred to other institutions. Additionally, it serves as a precursor to future educational courses, giving students a glimpse into what lies ahead and helping them navigate their academic journey with confidence.

Beyond academic knowledge, EDC 202 provides students with a comprehensive understanding of the cultural and societal dynamics within school systems. From exploring the impact of socio-economic factors on learning to addressing the diverse needs of students, this course equips future educators with the insights needed to create inclusive and supportive learning environments.

In essence, EDC 202 is more than just a class; it’s a transformative experience that prepares individuals to become effective and empathetic educators. Under the guidance of Ms. Hickman, students not only learn about the science of human development but also cultivate the skills and mindset needed to shape the future of education.

So, if you’re passionate about teaching and eager to make a difference in the lives of students, consider enrolling in EDC 202. It’s not just a course—it’s the first step towards a rewarding and fulfilling career in education.