Service Above Self

Herrin Interact club is making a difference in the community.
Photography, Noah Pulley

Herrin High School has many different clubs that students can choose to join.  One of these clubs is the Herrin High School Interact Club.  The Interact club is all about volunteer work and helping out the community.  The club has been active since pretty much the very beginning of the school year and since then they have done multiple community service projects. 

One of the most notable projects they do all year is operation Christmas child.  For Operation Christmas Child all the members of the club go out to a local store and buy Christmas presents for kids who are not able to get a Christmas where they live due to various reasons.  Another community project that they undertake is making Valentine’s day cards for people in nursing homes. 

Although the interact club is in full swing by now and has been for some time you can still join anytime you want.  Club sponsor Mr. Johnson said, “I just had a student ask me the other day if they could join and I said of course; its never too late to join.”  The most recent project that the interact club has helped with has been the egg hunt at North Side.  The interact club stuffed over 900 eggs for the kids to hunt at North Side.  The day of the hunt members of the club went out to Northside to help place all of the eggs for the kids to find.  Mr Johnson said that “I think it’s important for kids to join clubs like this because this is something that they could stay involved with for the rest of their lives.”  Make sure that if your thinking about a new club you should join next year you give the Herrin Interact Club some consideration.