The Realities of Student Working

Many would incorrectly assume that student working is a chance for a free hour. In reality, it is infinitely more.
Two student workers labor at their tasks to keep HHS running.
Photography, Caden Green

A critical backbone of the HHS office and library is the students who assist in managing them.  

Ms. Johnson, the HHS Librarian, selects upperclassmen who show a solid GPA (at least a 3.0), demonstrate good behavior and friendliness, and a strong work ethic.  She cautions against students who’d believe library work to be an easy cycle of occasional shelving and checking out.  Every worker will spend a solid part of their hour dedicated purely to library work.  This not only includes shelving and checking books in and out.  There is also a creative element to library work.  

Students often work on projects for the library, such as Maddie Ahne (11).  She has been responsible for several scavenger hunts, including the upcoming Vincent Van Gogh Scavenger Hunt.  Maddie enjoys “the environment and getting to make things for [her] peers to enjoy and promote reading/literature.”  

Maddie Martin (10) has been responsible for the steady upkeep of a bulletin board and a whiteboard (kept just outside the library doors).  She utilizes her pre-existing art skills to advertise for and draw people to the library.

Aubrey Rash (11) finds joy in keeping the library updated by consistently deleting books to make room for more modern copies.

Joella Brimm (11) enjoys her task-oriented occupation.  “I love organization and doing small tasks that have a greater accomplishment in the end,” she confesses.  For her, the student work poses as a chance to assist Ms. Johnson in the everyday tasks that, as a whole, keep our library running.  

Alyssa Eggemeyer (12) was spurned to join because of a pre-existing love of literature.  She states: “I love when students ask me questions about books and when I see regulars.”  Alyssa enjoys that the library workers have “started to make students love reading again.”

However, there is another chance for students to work for their school.  Just a short walk from the library lies the HHS Front Office.  

Herrin High School boasts an association of hardworking faculty who, in their daily tasks, keep our school running smoothly.  Yet, their resources can only be spread so far.  Therefore, they need HHS students who are dedicated enough to sacrifice forty-five minutes to work.  

Danielle Emling, an office staff member, says the office looks for “someone dependable, that comes to school regularly, that is organized, and has good communication.”  She assures that student workers will be communicating every day, whether on the telephone or in person.  Ms. Emling continues to emphasize the importance of communication skills alongside organizational skills, because of the office’s chaotic tendency.  She says students will need to be able to work with peers and parents who act in a variety of moods.  

Libby Brandon (12) states that working in the office gives her the chance to network with her principles in a way she previously couldn’t, to learn office skills, and to learn how to act when under pressure and trust.  In response to whether or not students should attempt to join the office workers, she says: “Yes, if they’re responsible, but if not to P.E.”

Working in the office is a cycle of running errands, answering phone calls, dealing with students and their parents, and whatever minute chores need to be completed.  Together, day by day, the HHS office workers take upon themselves the menial tasks that are critical to us all.

Overall, student working is a great path for students who are detail-oriented, dedicated to their projects, dedicated to order, and strong in communication.  It is not, as many imagine, a free period.  It is—without any doubt—a genuine hour of work and extended dedication.