Tiger Tattler

Filed under Features, Sports

A Court to Remember

The girls basketball season comes to a close

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Court to Remember

Senior Morgan McKinnies shoots a three point shot against the Marion Wildcats.

Photography, Melissa Donaghue

Photography, Melissa Donaghue

Photography, Melissa Donaghue

After a season of ups and downs, tournament wins and losses, and many hard fought battles, the Lady Tigers basketball season has now come to a close. The girls went 4-6 in the conference, beating Massac and West Frankfort twice.

Herrin was positive on the road, going 6-5 and having a 5-5 record in tournament play. Herrin won the West Frankfort Mid-Winter tournament, beating West Frankfort in the championship game. Presli Karnes received MVP for that tournament. In the Regional tournament, the Lady Tigers were eliminated in their game against Richland County by a score of 48-37.

Senior Morgan McKinnies played her final game against Richland County. She helped lead the team to many victories this season. McKinnies had some comments on the season, her teammates, and her time here as part of the Lady Tigers. “For me, this season dared me to take on a new role as a leader and create opportunities for other teammates to step up,” she said. “This season was challenging, but also a great learning experience for the whole crew.”

McKinnies talked very highly of her teammates and how close they all have grown. “I’d say we are all pretty close, which definitely played into how we worked together on the court. The more you know about your teammates such as what drives them, what makes them think, and why they love the game, it becomes much easier to play with them and know where and when they’ll be on the floor.”

Finally, McKinnies talked about being a senior,  playing in her final season here, and what she will miss most. “As a senior, this season was my finale, my last go-round with the game. I’ve held basketball so dear to my heart since I was a child, and the reality was that I had to let my playing career go… I will miss my teammates, all the players I’ve competed with since my freshman year. I will miss practice, the endless down-and-backs, and laughing at the team’s inside jokes. I will miss our huddles before games, screaming like there was no one watching. But mostly, I will miss putting on my jersey, lacing up my shoes, grabbing a basketball, and running onto the court to play the game I love. Honestly, nothing ever can compare to the adrenaline after nailing a game winning shot.”

The Lady Tigers finished their season 14-17, with many close game victories and many memorable moments. Though the season is over, the returning girls are already preparing for next season. With many returning players next year, the Lady Tigers will definitely be ready for next season.

About the Writer
Jakob Milani, Writer

Hello, I'm Jakob. I enjoy playing sports here at HHS, as well as writing about them. I play football and baseball for the school. I also enjoy playing...