A New National Honor Society Chapter Has Just Begun

March 7 Saw the Rise of a New NHS Chapter, the Rise of 57 More Students into Roles of Character, Scholarship, Leadership, and Service.
NHS Inductees Stand at the Ready to Recite the Pledge, Stepping Into Their Critical Roles at HHS.
Photography, Cooper Christ

March 7 2024 saw the induction of the 2023–2024 Herrin High School Chapter of the National Honor Society—the forty-sixth year of HHS’ involvement in the NHS.  The National Honor Society began in 1921 under the leadership of Dr. Edward Rynearson.  Through his hard work, and the work put in by future teachers and members, the NHS grew into a national organization of high repute.  It strives to honor the students of the U.S. who can combine academic achievement with extracurricular involvement.  The fifty-seven HHS students (some new inductees and some returning) who have been inducted have hit that honorable mark.

The evening began with a supper at six, where inductees were able to bring two guests.  They were served a meal of salad, rice pilaf, macaroni and cheese, chicken, dessert, and drinks. The students were assembled backstage, organized alphabetically, and prepared to march in step based on their practice on Sunday, the third of March.  

John Braid (12), President Herrin High’s National Honor Society chapter, was given the honor of opening the ceremony.  He, as President, believes all students should do their best to be inducted into the NHS, because of its benefits for students’ futures (such as applications for university scholarships and more).  John announced the entrance of the students, who took their places on the stage.  Following this, he introduced a host of his peers who were given the chance to read passages regarding the NHS. 

After John Braid, four HHS students (three of them NHS officers) represented a pillar of the National Honor Society.

Vice President Sophie Camarato (12) recited a short speech for scholarship.  Jaci Bethel (12) faithfully volunteered to read the passage for character.  Jaci recognizes the need for character in forming relationships and she admires the NHS as a great organization, especially the more selective Herrin chapter.  Alexandria Estes (12), the Treasurer, read the leadership speech.  To her, leadership is a trait all students should strive to emulate, pushing themselves by their bravery to become natural leaders.  Michael Cagle (12) completed the recitation for service.  Michael, the secretary, sees service as helping others when they are in need.

With John Braid leading all in the oath, the juniors and some seniors were inducted and most seniors were re-inducted into Herrin’s Chapter of the NHS.

Their candles were extinguished, wisps of smoke rising freely into the air. The students were once again announced by John Braid as they made their way to the front of the stage, where the juniors received a pin and the seniors received a certificate.  Mrs. Torbeck, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Wilson, and Sophie Camarato were there to shake hands with all the students and congratulate them on their efforts.

The night thus ended in an array of pictures and embraces.  It is evident that, with this new chapter, the future of leadership, scholarship, character, and service is safe, especially at Herrin High School.