Hit ‘Em Straight, Till Next Season

A few closing words on this year’s golf season.
Vance Miles (11) and Carter Mcree (11) focus on the putt.
Photography, Jaci Bethel

Golf season has officially come to an end. The season was short but the matches were strong. Goals were achieved and special moments were created. 

The girls team won their last regular season match with a 196, at home. Their team hasn’t broken 200 in 2 years, this is showing significant growth in the girls team. Hopefully some great potential in the upcoming years. 

A sophomore, Jordan Cooper, came in 9th place in conference. Ella Holthaus, a junior,  ranked 9th at regionals for individuals. This pushed Ella into the rankings to compete in sectionals at Belk Park. Although she didn’t place, she learned “what it will take to get to state next year,” and the time she will have to put in to achieve this goal. 

When the girls were asked about how their season went overall, many replied that it was a good season, and they couldn’t wait until next year. The smiles on their faces when talking about golf said more than the words themselves. You could see the dedication in their eyes, and hear the power behind their words.

We asked some of the girls on the team if they had any advice for future golfers, and we got some pretty good responses. When Senior, Cameran Gwaltney, was asked about if she had any advice, she said that they need to make sure to “stay calm and to not be hard on yourself.” A junior, Emily Hosman, had a similar remark. She advised me to try to have fun, as it’s not always about winning. 

The boys team was exceptional this year as well. They were all ecstatic to share that they beat Marion High School twice in the season. Knowing the type of competition they were up against, you can see why they would be so thrilled to share. Senior, Elliot Smith, along with Coach Roberts made this an apparent fact. With the amount of freshman and sophomore, it is obvious that there is a future state team in the making. 

When it comes to the younger players, the older boys had some advice to share. Senior, Elliot Smith, said that the younger you start, the chances of you getting better will be high. Junior, Jaxon Hale, stated that however bad you may be, it’s okay. “It takes time and patience to get better.” Optimistically, we hope that the younger generation of golfers will take note of the things the upperclassmen had to say. 

Cameran Gwaltney and Elliot Smith, both seniors, stated that, in their future, golf would most likely be a hobby. They couldn’t see themselves competing, but they could see themselves playing for fun for a lifetime. 

It was a great year for Tiger Golf!