Is It Really FLAG Football?

The Powder Puff girls turn flag into tackle during the battle of the classes.

Cheyenne+Hess+%2812%29+runs+the+ball+while+avoiding+the+grasps+of+Ashley+Owens+%2811%29+during+the+powder+puff+game.+

Cheyenne Hess (12) runs the ball while avoiding the grasps of Ashley Owens (11) during the powder puff game.

Article, The Blue Tiger

Katie Davis (11) plays defense and fights the hold of Faith Fiorina (12) during the championship game.

During the Powder Puff game on Sunday, October 1, tension was high as “they’re holding!”, “they’re pulling shirts!” and many other statements were heard from the sidelines of both teams during the championship game between the juniors and seniors.

This head to head battle created a rivalry that made for an intense final game. But, did the Powder Puff players stray from their flag football rules and regulations? The verdict may still be out and without photo-proof may have been tough to catch if one wasn’t in the actual game.

The girls did follow the “no tackle” rule and only grabbed for flags to stop plays; however, most of these “good plays” were accompanied by a dropped shoulder to the gut, holding, or unnecessary roughness. The tension continued to grow throughout the game as one team became even more frustrated by its opponent demonstrating these tactics and vice versa.

Football is a tough game. It is suppose to be physical. It is suppose to be a battle of the best, but how do we divide Powder Puff play and full pads tackle play? Some would argue that the refs should be the deciding factor.

As adrenaline pumps through each player’s system, it is difficult to self regulate how much force one may use. Just because they are girls does not mean they don’t know how to play rough. A gentle reminder by the refs to lose a few yards for rough play just might help keep more players from getting hurt during this one day event.

This year many coaches refused to let their players participate in the day’s events, which is sad because it is for a good cause and it is one of those memories students will talk about after high school. However, it was not a shock considering the percentages of players that were hurt in the past few years while playing. This year’s game was no where near as brutal as in years past, but it still left a few marks.

It also must be said that this is not a slam against the refs, but instead a note that even though the players are not pro-football players or practice hours upon hours like our high school football team, they can still understand a call / flag against them every once in a while.

A second note would be to the ladies participating in next year’s game: It’s football. You’re going to get a bruise or two. Someone is going to pull on your shirt of pants in search of a flag… but taking it to a realm of vicious attack as if wanting revenge will only result in future students not being allowed to play this awesome annual game. So, please, take note and don’t ruin it for the rest.