The Student News Site of Herrin High School

Tiger Tattler

Tiger Tattler

Tiger Tattler

The Tenacious Tiger

Herrin High School’s First True Tiger.
Photography, Tracy Cornelius
Libby Brandon, 2024 HHS graduate, title-holder of Student of the Month for Positivity in January, is now the first Student of the Year.

Photo Caption: Libby Brandon, 2024 HHS graduate, title-holder of Student of the Month for Positivity in January, is now the first Student of the Year.

Famed baseball player, Joe DiMaggio, once said: “A person always doing his or her best becomes a natural leader, just by example.”  Leadership is a key trait of HHS’ new True Tiger position (a student selected from the ranks of Students of the Month by HHS proctors).  These teachers selected Libby Brandon in May 2024. 

“Libby is a leader who leads by example. She may not be the loudest leader in a vocal capacity, but she has the ability to get tasks done and bring her peers along with her as she does so,” Mr. Pappenfuss, one of two Student Government sponsors, reflects.

Libby Brandon was selected as January’s Student of the Month because of the positivity she exercised during her time at Herrin High.  In an interview with the Tiger Tattler, she states her motto for positivity is “seeing a glass half full, not half empty.”  This sort of outlook assists in the other essential elements of being a True Tiger: integrity, respect, responsibility, positivity, gratitude, citizenship and perseverance.  Libby’s positivity definitively aided in her performance as a treasurer and accelerated academic.  

“I’m not sure I’ve had a student in 8 years with a better sense of humor than Elizabeth Brandon. She is always looking to make people laugh,” Mr. Pappenfuss says.

As a Herrin High student, Libby took part in several organizations and activities (including Student Government, Math Team, Spanish Club, and more).  She served as the FBLA co-treasurer, Student Chamber Treasurer, and as the Student Government V.P. for three years.  She was also a two-year member of the National Honor Society.  Her academic and extracurricular doings did not go unnoticed. 

This year, Libby was named as one of the two recipients from Herrin of the SIUC Chancellor’s Scholarship — an academic reward that recognizes those who exemplify academic excellence.  It is valued at over $100,000 and is given over the course of four years at the college.  

As a member of both the Prom Committee and Accelerated English Classes, Libby Brandon dealt closely with Ms. Amanda Hickman.  Ms. Hickman comments: “Libby’s participation in [prom] committee reveals her service to her school, her attention to detail, her commitment to following through on responsibilities, and her spirit of helpfulness.”  

Libby was a four-year member of Student Government and a member of the Executive Council in her senior year.  “Libby was a… “go to” when it came to making decisions,” says Ms. Bonifield, one of the Student Government sponsors.  For Ms. Bonifield, a “go to” student is one whom she “could reach out to for an odd task, an honest opinion, and was often [her] first checkpoint for an idea.”  Ms. Bonifield requires “someone who can be honest and in the loop when it comes to ideas and plans for Student Government.”  

But Libby — like all — was once a timid freshman.  “Libby was always very respectful and kind, but throughout high school her enthusiasm and spirit became more visible,” Ms. Bonifield continues.  Libby’s growth only serves to exemplify the possibility of all students to grow in their positivity — a key True Tiger trait.  Thus, HHS students can look up to Libby as an example of what sort of person they can grow into.  

Libby is now off to pursue a science degree at Southern Illinois University Carbondale with the goal of attending Physician Assistant school.  Even though she has departed from HHS, students for years to come are able to look back at their first Student of the Year and make strides to emulate her positivity, hard work, responsibility, and the myriad traits that make up a True Tiger.