April’s Persevering Prodigies

Students of the Month: Perseverance – April 2024
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.”– Winston Churchill
Photography, Allison Swiatkowski

This year, Herrin High School will be selecting one student from each grade that exemplifies a specific character trait in and out of the classroom each month. These students are nominated by Herrin High School faculty and staff for their positive role-model behavior in and out of the classroom. 

For the month of April, the highlighted trait is Perseverance. Perseverance is persistence in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.

Evaley Collier(9) stands proud with her award.

Evaley Collier is a freshman this year. She believes persevering is “being nice to people who are just trying to get through their day.” She is a part of Track, Volleyball, Cheer, and Hosa. After high school, she plans to go to SIU to get her OPN degree and RN and get her CNA by her senior year.

Clair Boyd10) shows off her certificate.

Claire Boyd is a sophomore this year. She is in band and Tigers 4 Life. After high school, she plans to go to college and become a labor and delivery nurse. She believes perseverance is “pushing forward even though it is hard, and not backing down from what is ahead of you.”

Ava Capogreco(11) smiles at the camera.

Ava Capogreco is a junior this year. She is in many things at Herrin High School, including Dance, Student Government, Pep Club, Rotary, and more. She believes perseverance is “when you keep going even though you don’t want to.” After high school, she plans to go to college for her undergrad and continue her education for her master’s as a physician assistant. 

Clayton Richardson(12) puts his award on display.

Clayton Richardson is a senior this year. He is a part of Herrin High School’s bowling team. He believes perseverance is “pushing forward in hard times.” He plans to go to John A Logan for criminal justice. 

This award allows the school to reward outstanding students throughout the school year. At the end of the year, one student from those selected each month will be chosen by the Herrin High School staff to be awarded the True Tiger, the Student of the Year award.