Citizenship Crusader: March’s Champion

Students of the Month: Citizenship – March 2024
“I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity an
obligation; every possession a duty.” – J.D. Rockefeller
“I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity an obligation; every possession a duty.” – J.D. Rockefeller
Photography, Jaci Bethel

This year, Herrin High School will be selecting one student from each grade that exemplifies a specific character trait in and out of the classroom each month. These students are nominated by Herrin High School faculty and staff for their positive role-model behavior in and out of the classroom. 

For the month of March, the highlighted trait is Citizenship. Citizenship is doing your share to make your home, school, and community better, while also being able to collaborate well with classmates and staff.

Sydney McCree (9) stands proud with her award.

Sydney McCree is a freshman this year. She believes having citizenship is “being responsible and being kind to everybody while following the rules” She is part of the volleyball team and FCA. After high school, Sydney is still considering her options and is undecided at the moment.

Sam Jolliff (10) shows off his certificate.

Sam Jolliff is a sophomore this year. He takes part in FBLA, FCS, and Students for Life. After high school, Sam is still undecided about what he wants to do but is narrowing it down. He also is on the track and cross-country team. He believes citizenship  is “being nice to everybody and being a good example.”

Joshua Jones (11) smiles at the camera.

Joshua Jones is a junior this year. After high school, Joshua is planning to further his education. He is in the Math Team, ACES, FBLA, Scholar Bowl, Student Chamber, and Band. He thinks that citizenship is “being proud to be a tiger and the student body.” He is also a member of the National Honor Society and the Tennis team.

Sophia Camarato (12) puts her award on display.

Sophia Camarato is a senior this year. She participates in FBLA, HOSA, French Club, National Honor Society, and Math Team. She believes citizenship is “being helpful and respectful to the teachers and community.” After high school, Sophia is planning to go to the University of Health Science and Pharmacy in St. Louis to become a pharmacist.

This award allows the school to reward outstanding students throughout the school year. At the end of the year, one student from those selected each month will be chosen by the Herrin High School staff to be awarded the True Tiger, the Student of the Year award.

April’s trait will be Perseverance. Teachers and staff will be looking to award students who show Perseverance in class and outside, to each other, to themselves, and faculty and the community.