February’s Gratitude Gurus

Students of the Month: Gratitude – February 2024
Always have an attitude of gratitude.Sterling K. Brown
“Always have an attitude of gratitude.”Sterling K. Brown
Photography, Nevaeh Thetford

This year, Herrin High School will be selecting one student from each grade that exemplifies a specific character trait in and out of the classroom each month. These students are nominated by Herrin High School faculty and staff for their positive role-model behavior in and out of the classroom. 

For the month of February, the highlighted trait is Gratitude. Gratitude is the quality of being thankful and the readiness to show appreciation for kindness.

Jamonta McKnight (9) stands proud with his award.

Jamonta McKnight is a freshman this year. He believes that to have gratitude is “being nice and being yourself” He is part of the basketball team. After high school, Jamonta is planning to go to college for basketball.

Jacie Watson (10) shows off her certificate.

Jacie Watson is a sophomore this year. She takes part in Best Buddies and Pep Club. After high school Jacie is planning to go to college and be an athletic trainer. She also is on the track team. She believes gratitude is “being thankful for everyone around.”

Caden Green (11) smiles for the camera.

Caden Green is a junior this year. After high school Caden is planning to go to college for French, Foreign Language, and Literature. He is in Math Team, Scholar Bowl, French Club, Book and Cinema Club, and French Travel Club. He thinks that gratitude is “recognizing people who are in need of thanks for all the hard work they do in this school .” 

Blue Bishop (12) puts his award on display.

Blue Bishop is a senior this year. He participates in FBLA, HOSA, Spanish Club, and wrestling. He believes gratitude is “recognizing the hard work that teachers are putting in and being grateful for it.” After high school, Blue is planning to get into the service academies. 

This award allows the school to reward outstanding students throughout the school year. At the end of the year, one student from those selected each month will be chosen by the Herrin High School staff to be awarded the True Tiger, the Student of the Year award.

March’s trait will be Citizenship . Teachers and staff will be looking to award students who show Citizenship in class and outside, to each other, to themselves, and to faculty and community.

1
View Comments (1)