Meet The 2024 Mr. and Miss HHS Candidates

An honored HHS tradition that’s continued for many years is once again back in the spotlight.
The 2024 Mr. and Miss HHS candidates.
The 2024 Mr. and Miss HHS candidates.

The exciting and gut-wrenching time is already upon us at HHS. The candidates for Mr. and Miss HHS have been selected, and the competition is intense. A celebrated tradition, this event has been going on for many years and will continue to exist far into the future. But for some, you may be asking, what is Mr. and Miss HHS? With that, let’s dive into the history of the award and what it truly means to be selected for this prestigious honor.

The award program started back in 1949, and at that time, it was known as Mr. and Miss HTHS.

The winners of the 1949 Mr. and Miss HTHS awards.

This reflected the high school’s name at the time, which was Herrin Township High School. The name of the honor stayed like this until 1965 when it was changed to Mr. and Miss HHS, a few years after the “T” was dropped from the school title.

The recipients of the 1965 Mr. and Miss HHS

From then to now, the name has stayed the same, and two new recipients are awarded every year. 

For those wondering how one becomes a candidate, it is a timely process. Out of the whole senior class, the top 25 academically achieving students of each gender are chosen to be eligible. Then, a certain number of teachers will vote on their top 5 male and female picks. At this point, the finalist’s names will be announced, and shortly after this, the entire student body votes on their two candidates. Their vote should be based on the person’s character, academic integrity, school involvement, and community participation. While the voting happens early in February, the recipients won’t be announced until Honors Night in late April.

To get to know the 2024 Mr. and Miss HHS finalists, I interviewed each of them and asked them a series of three questions. First, what is their favorite event/community service project at HHS? Second, what do they want their high school legacy to be? Lastly, summarize your experience at HHS in one word. All of the finalists thought very hard about their answers, but they gave thorough responses and adequate explanations. 

The 2024 Miss HHS candidates are Jaci Bethel, Libby Brandon, Sophia Camarato, Mads LaBotte, and Krine Webb.

Jaci Bethel described her high school experience as memorable because of all the experiences that she won’t ever forget. She wants to be remembered for her dedication to what she enjoys doing, mainly in chorus and journalism. Jaci said that her favorite event throughout high school was when the chorus went singing at local nursing homes. She enjoyed letting the residents choose songs and seeing them enjoy the singing. 

Libby Brandon emphasized the fact that high school goes fast, and feels that it was just yesterday that she started her freshman year, but then turned around and realized that she was in the last semester of her senior year. Quoting a Kenny Chesney song, Libby said, “Don’t blink, life goes faster than you think.” Libby wants to be remembered as a pleasant person who always helped her peers. She added that her favorite memory of high school was Special Olympics because it allows her to serve, which in turn brings out the best in humanity. 

Sophia Camarato described her HHS experience as “positive”, which she contributed to the good atmosphere that allowed everyone to get involved. She says that the most memorable moment of high school was the boys’ basketball games because they brought a sense of community that allowed everyone to feel welcome. Sophia wishes to leave behind the legacy of her positive attitude toward others. 

Mads LaBotte noted that her high school years have been filled with excitement, and feels strongly that, “Every moment that I’m at the school is another moment where I’m learning something new.”  She said that there were many exciting moments, including getting inducted into the National Honor Society. Her favorite event was when the school would host blood drives. Even though she couldn’t give blood herself, Mads strives to go into the health field, so it is fascinating for her to witness a medical process firsthand. Mads wishes to be remembered for her behind-the-scenes work through journalism, newspaper, and HOSA. 

Krine Webb has had a miraculous time at HHS. She has made new friends and lost old ones, but through it all, her journey has been filled with amazing experiences and new opportunities. Krine’s favorite HHS event over the past four years was the Student Government Christmas shopping trip. She says that it always is rewarding to give to the less fortunate. Krine hopes to help spread a positive message of diversity throughout HHS.

The 2024 Mr. HHS candidates are Nathan Abba, John Braid, Logan Clough, Konnor Doughty, and Keegan Weber

Nathan Abba expressed that he has had a very exciting high school experience due to all of the amazing events and experiences that have happened. He says that one of his favorite memories was when the band played for the opening of Walmart last spring. Nathan described this adventure as unexpected, cold, and chaotic, but says that is why it was so memorable. He hopes that people will remember his intellectual abilities and his kindness toward others.

John Braid characterized his high school journey as enjoyable as a result of the many good experiences that he had. John said that his favorite memory will always be the early out days since these always seemed to go by much faster than a full day. He wants to be remembered for his helpfulness and kindness throughout high school. 

Logan Clough has had an unexpected high school experience. Firstly, he has made it to state in track and field, which he thought would never be the case. He also never imagined that his homecoming rendition of “Something in the Orange” would go viral. Logan hopes to be remembered as someone honest, kind, and a dedicated worker. His favorite HHS event was the Student Government Christmas shopping trip, because, as someone grateful for Christmas, he wishes to spread the same feeling of joy to others. 

Konnor Doughty describes his time at HHS as memorable, mainly due to all of the special and unique events that happened. Konnor always enjoyed working at school registration because he enjoys meeting new students and welcoming them to the school. This event is also always for him to catch up with current friends about their summer. Konnor seeks to be remembered as someone who was nice but was never afraid to embrace the truth. 

Keegan Weber will always remember his time at HHS as competitive, in which he contributed to the sports he plays as well as the amount of work that teachers assign. His favorite event was the FBLA Earth Day clean-up because it is such a great way to connect with classmates and understand why the environment matters so much. Keegan strives to be remembered as someone who was committed to excelling in the classroom while also successfully playing multiple sports.

The 2024 Mr. and Miss HHS candidates.

These select students encompass the true values of an HHS Tiger and dedicate so much of their time to helping improve both our school as well as our community. Congratulations to all of the finalists who have already achieved so much!

1
View Comments (1)