The Responsibility Revolution

Students of the Month: Responsibility – November 2023
Responsibility is accepting that you are the cause & the solution of the matter.-Anonymous
“Responsibility is accepting that you are the cause & the solution of the matter.”-Anonymous
Photography, Dani Patalano

This year, Herrin High School will be selecting one student from each grade that exemplifies a specific character trait in and out of the classroom each month. These students are nominated by Herrin High School faculty and staff for their positive role-model behavior in and out of the classroom. 

For the month of November, the highlighted trait is Responsibility. Responsibility is the quality or state of being responsible.

Skyler Blakey (9) stands proud with her award. (Photography, Dani Patalano)

Skyler Blakey is a freshman this year. She believes that to have responsibility is to always have everything done and “always do your work.” She is part of the Cross Country and Track teams. After high school, Skyler is planning to go to medical school and become a nurse. She partakes in Student Government, HOSA, and Pep Club. 

Braden Davis (10) shows off his certificate. (Photography, Dani Patalano)

Braden Davis is a sophomore this year. He takes part in Student Government, FCA, Student Chamber, French Club, Tigers 4 Life, and Best Buddies. After high school Braden is planning to go to law school. He is in Cross Country and Track. He believes responsibility “is being able to handle the tasks given to you in life.”

Joella Brimm (11) smiles for the camera. (Photography, Dani Patalano)

Joella Brimm is a junior this year. After high school Joella is planning on going to John A. and then transferring to become a traveling nurse. She is in P7, Tigers 4 Life, Rotary, Student Chamber, FCA, Spanish Club as well as Track. She thinks that responsibility is “doing what is right even when it is not the popular thing to do.” 

Maddi Griffin (12) puts her award on display. (Photography, Dani Patalano)

Maddi Griffin is a senior this year. She participates in FCA, FCCLA, HOSA, Rotary, FBLA, Spanish Club, and Journalism. She believes responsibility is “completing all tasks for all of my many classes.” After high school, Maddi is planning on going to SIUC and majoring in Secondary English Education.

This award allows the school to reward outstanding students throughout the school year. At the end of the year, one student from those selected each month will be chosen by the Herrin High School staff to be awarded with the True Tiger, the Student of the Year award.

January’s trait will be Positivity. Teachers and staff will be looking to award students that show Positivity in class and outside, to each other, to oneself, and to faculty and community.