We dont need to share the same opinions as others, but we need to be respectful. -Taylor Swift
“We don’t need to share the same opinions as others, but we need to be respectful.” -Taylor Swift
Photography, Allison Swaitkowski

Respect is Contagious

Students of the Month: Respect – October 2023

This year, the Herrin High School will be selecting one student from each grade that exemplifies a specific character trait in and out of the classroom each month. These students are nominated by Herrin High School faculty and staff for their positive role model behavior in and out of the classroom. 

For the month of October, the highlighted trait is respect. Respect is treating others the way you want to be treated, being accepting of differences, using good manners, being considerate of the feelings of others, and dealing peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements. 

Nickolas Steinmetz (9) poses with his accolade. (Photography, Allison Swaitkowski)

Nicholas Steinmetz is a freshman this year. He believes that you must have respect all the time to “listen and know what is going on.” After highschool, Nicholas is planning to start his own excavating business. 

Ava Goetting (10) shows off her award. (Photography, Allison Swaitkowski)

Ava Goetting is a sophomore this year. She takes part in HOSA, FBLA, Student Government, Spanish Club, Rotary and Best Buddies. After high school Ava is planning to go to school to become a nursing assistant. Ava is also a second year member for our Lady Tigers golf team. She believes respect “helps you and others get through life with more positivity. ”

Emily Hosmon (11) puts her certificate on display. (Photography, Allison Swaitkowski)

Emily Hosmon is a junior this year. After high school Emily is planning on being a missionary in the Middle East or being an environmental engineer. She is in Scholar Bowl, Math Team, Student Government, Student Chamber, French Club and FBLA, as well as Golf. She thinks that respect is imperative because “everyone deserves to get along and have someone they rely on.” 

Jaci Bethel (12) smiles for the camera. (Photography, Allison Swaitkowski)

Jaci Bethel is a senior this year. She participates in Band, Early Bird Chorus, Journalism, Drama Club, Pep Club, the musicals, and is on the National Honor Society. She believes respect is “necessary,” and that “everyone deserves it.” After high school, Jaci is planning on going to college for musical theater.

This award allows the school to reward outstanding students throughout the school year. At the end of the year, one student from those selected each month will be chosen by the Herrin High School staff to be awarded with the True Tiger, the Student of the Year award.

November’s trait will be responsibility. Teachers and staff will be looking to award students that show responsibility in class and outside, to each other, to oneself, and to faculty and community.