So Long, Farewell, Seniors

“An ending is not the end.” -K. Tolnoe
The VonTrapp children, played by Jaci Bethel (12), Carver Hall (9), Sydney Atchinson (11), Frankie Patalano (9), Imogen Coop (9), Mads LaBotte (12) and Sarah Johnson (10), sing Do-Re-Mi with Maria, portrayed by Kat Weaver (12).
The VonTrapp children, played by Jaci Bethel (12), Carver Hall (9), Sydney Atchinson (11), Frankie Patalano (9), Imogen Coop (9), Mads LaBotte (12) and Sarah Johnson (10), sing “Do-Re-Mi” with Maria, portrayed by Kat Weaver (12).
Photography, B Boyd

October 29th, 2023, marked the end of the road for the seniors participating in “The Sound of Music.” This musical, being their last performance at Herrin High, stirred many emotions within the students, full of tears and hugs all around.

Kat Weaver (12) and Nathan Abba (12), as Maria and the Captain, look into each other’s eyes. (Photography, B Boyd)

Some of the seniors have been participating in Herrin High School musicals since they were freshmen, such as Jaci Bethel, Kat Weaver, and Kadie Dunfee. Weaver and Bethel started doing musicals long before high school, and they have been performing for about 11 years.

Even those who were having their first high school show shared the saddened sentiment. Nathan Abba (12) and Owen Smith (12) were both bummed that their time in the limelight had run out. Smith was at first part of the tech crew, but after some recruitment by Mrs. Simmons, landed a small role. “At first I was not too sure,” Smith stated, “but some people from the musical convinced me to be a part of it.”

Jaci Bethel (12) and Holdyn Westberry (10) sing “Sixteen Going On Seventeen” as Liesl and Rolf, respectively. (Photography, Ashlyn Sims)

The underclassmen in the cast stated that they really look up to the seniors, and are sad to see them go. Holdyn Westberry (10) agreed, saying “I look up to Jaci. She has been my friend for a long time, and she is very talented. She’s also  doing the same thing I want to do as a career, and she is just a great person.” Mrs. Simmons and Ms. Grace are extremely proud of their seniors.

On Sunday, the theaters were packed full of proud parents and students. Their final performance brought tears to the eyes of the audience and the cast members. The seniors took in their bittersweet goodbye, and the curtain closed for thr final time.