The Herrin Civic Center Comes Alive With the Sound of Music

The music-loving students of Herrin High prepare to leave their all on the stage.
The actors and actresses involved in the musical prepare to leave their mark.
Photography, B Boyd

At the beginning of the school year, Ms. Simmons announced that this year’s musical would be The Sound of Music. The musical is always an event that gets students extremely excited, and about 32 students rushed to auditions on August 22.

The second half of auditions took place over the next two days, which included the reading of certain characters’ roles and singing cuts of music from the shows to figure out who would fit each role the best. Those that auditioned felt very excited or nervous and others were a big mixture of both. When Sydney Atchison (11) was asked how she felt during the audition process, she said she was “a little nervous,” but she was “very excited” about what part she would receive.

The students were on edge as they waited eagerly for the cast list to be posted. At exactly 3 P.M on August 26, students rushed into the commons area to look at the cast list.

The hard work these students put in for this play is truly remarkable and very inspiring. In the  past, the hard work these students have put into the musical really has shown clearly, and many hope to see it play off just as well as it did last year. Noah Pulley (11) plans on visiting the Herrin Civic Center to see the show. Pulley said that he expects “good things from it, because [he] heard good things from the people in it.” 

The Sound of Music will be showing at the Herrin Civic Center October 27th, 28th, and the 29th.   Tickets are sold at the door starting 30 minutes before the curtain goes up. It is $10 for adults, $5 for students, kids 5 and under are free. As a bonus incentive to attend, Mr. J.T. Lewis will be playing the priest. In other words, go support Herrin High’s talented students by watching this fantastic musical this coming weekend.