HHS Is Getting Loud

The HHS Pep Club plans for the upcoming basketball season.
The Loud Crowd cheers for the Tigers against West Frankfort.
Photography, Cooper Christ

When you think about the Pep Club, the first thing that comes to mind is our “Loud Crowd,” but there is more to it than that. Pep Club is promoting school spirit elsewhere, and this year they held a fundraiser for the first time in a while. They sold almost 300 Tiger spirit blankets, and are expecting them to be in around the middle to the end of October. Members of the Pep Club are looking forward to seeing school spirit all around town this winter as HHS students cozy up in their blankets.

Mrs. Bush, the Pep Club sponsor, stated that the club will use their fundraising money to purchase items such as goodie bags for the state qualifiers, a new Herrin flag, school spirit items for the games, and prizes for spirit competitions throughout the year. Yet another way the Pep Club promotes spirit around the school is by making posters promoting our sports and academic clubs. You may notice the student section at games, not only because they are cheering on fellow classmates, but also because they are all in a correlating theme, thanks to the Pep Club. Currently, the only ways to improve our student section is to promote the themes and have participating students show up and be loud.

In just a few weeks, our highly anticipated boys basketball team will be taking the court, and they need the student section to be on point. Coach Shurtz, boys basketball head coach, had lots to say about the student section. He stated, “the student section has a huge effect on the game,” and that he has seen our opponents “miss pressure free throws because of a rowdy student section.” He agreed that the stands should be packed, but noted that we could take it up a notch, claiming “I love our student section, but I think we can do better. Orchestrated chants, faces painted, all that.”

Coach Shurtz anticipates the first game of the year against Collinsville needs to be packed, since “they are a tough and talented 4A team.” Shurtz advised that students should “have fun and be LOUD. The other teams should dread coming to Memorial Gymnasium. Bring the same type of energy you all bring to the barstool account.” 

Come out and support your Herrin Tiger Football team at the last game of the season with the Pep Club at Breese this upcoming Friday, October 20th. BE LOUD!