Math Team Multiplies Their Chances for Success

Adding up the factors of an outstanding performance.
The math team showcases their awards from SWIC Week 1.

Herrin High School has a long-standing tradition of a well-performing math team, and this year is no exception. This year’s mathletes are working harder than ever in anticipation of a successful season.

The team competed at Southwest Illinois College a few weeks ago in the first of four total rounds of tests at SWIC. Placing for the freshman was Silas Johnson, who finished in fifth place. Sophomores Nolan Gentile and Tyler Dodson finished in fifth and first, respectively. All three juniors medaled, with Chase Lannom in fifth, Joshua Jones in fourth, and Vince Champion in first. The mathletes are in a tight race with Mascoutah, and will have the chance to pull ahead at SWIC Week II next week.

Mr. Kyle Harlow, the head coach, is encouraged to see the strong performances so far this year. He has been the head coach for two years, and has long been influential and involved in the academic team. Throughout his coaching experience, Mr. Harlow has gotten to celebrate countless top finishes throughout competitions, multiple regional championships, and a few top ten finishes at state. Overall, Mr. Harlow is very optimistic about this year’s team and hopes to see them grow their ability and understanding of math as the season progresses. 

Freshman mathlete, Madison Monchino, says that while she feels “a bit nervous,” she is looking forward to competing for the team while ensuring that the tradition of success continues. Monchino joined the math team this year after hearing many interesting stories about it. She says that the experience has helped better her understanding of math and expand her academic involvement. Throughout the season, Monchino hopes to see continued growth in her individual math team scores and encourages her fellow peers to consider becoming a Herrin High mathlete. 

Many of the senior mathletes seem optimistic about the number of underclassmen involved. Even though their high school career is almost over, they all believe Herrin High School’s Math Team program will continue to set records, win medals, and outpace the competition. 

To continue their accomplishments, the work will be tough, and the expectations will be high, but the reward of friendship, team spirit, and the legacy left behind will make it all worth it. The mathletes are ready to see their hard work pay off as they prepare to take on the final week of SWIC. It’s like the famous author, Robert Collier, once said: “Success is the sum of small efforts – repeated day in and day out.”