Fresh off the Shelf

It’s a new year of Book & Cinema Club.
Students are actively playing a game of movie-matching Sporcle with Ms. Johnson and Ms. Jackson at the end of the meeting.
Photography, Aubrey Rash

The Herrin Book & Cinema Club kicked off its first meeting for the new school year this past week. The club was presented with a good first crowd of intrigued students.

Now you may be asking yourself, “What is Book & Cinema?”. Book & Cinema Club is a year-round club, sponsored and run by Ms. Wheaton along with the help of Ms. Jackson and Ms. Johnson. It allows students to dive deeper into YAL (Young Adult Literature) books and movies. Students meet for two days each month to compare and discuss the semester-chosen book to read along with various events that take place in between. 

Students in Book & Cinema will participate in various trips and activities throughout the school year, some such as; Family Reading Night at the Elementary School, a movie plus a trip to Barnes and Nobles, a student book swap, local library visits, and much more!

The goals of this club are to provide students with a creative outlook, promote literacy, and grow an appreciation for literature and cinema. 

For those interested in joining this club, the next official meeting will be held on September 13th, after school and in the library. Pre-existing and new members are required to bring $5 as a membership fee to go towards future club T-shirts and activities. 

Book & Cinema is a welcoming, friendly, and laid-back club that all students who are interested in young adult literature and movies should attend for some fun and enjoyable times!