A Senior’s First Semester Guide

“Don’t wait. The time will never be just right.” -Napoleon Hill

Photography, Natalie Coleman

Even though the seniors leave in six months, they have more work now than ever before. As sad as it is to go, they must make sure that they do what is needed to have the best send-off possible. Most seniors at the end of the year become out of loop with school information due to suffering from senioritis.   

It is the first time in Herrin High School history that seniors have three options to pick from for the front design of their senior shirts. I spoke to Ms. Goetting, yearbook adviser and English teacher, about what her reasoning was for this decision. She responded that the senior t-shirt designs were tied and after another voting poll, there was no clear winner. Ms. Goetting said that she did not want to have half of the senior class upset, so she decided it was best to give a choice to the seniors. While the front designs may be different, the backs of the shirts will stay the same. To order, click here

Ms. Goetting is also responsible for many other senior specialties. For one, she hosts the baby ads that are in the back of the school yearbook, the purchasing of these ads will be available in January of 2023. This form will be posted on the 2023 senior google classroom and the 2023 senior Facebook page. 

Julie Conner, who is heavily involved in Project Graduation, said that they hosted a pasta dinner on January 6th, 2023. They also worked the boy’s basketball game concessions on December 20th and January 14th. There is even a pork steak dinner in the works and a golf scramble game. Ms. Conner said that the Project Graduation party hosted at the school is safe and fun. This party will start late at night and will last until the next morning. Project Graduation will provide tasty food, fun activities, and exciting prizes for seniors to win. Overall, Project Graduation is a wonderful program that helps seniors have a fun send-off and needs everyone’s support. Make sure to attend these events for students and families. 

Seniors need a cap and gown to graduate, and Mrs. Shelton knows what they need to do to make sure that they are prepared. Mrs. Shelton said that there is no set date they need to order their caps and gowns; however, these gowns are special orders, and if seniors do not order by December 18th, they will NOT get the same gowns as everyone else, so make sure they get ordered as soon as possible. The link to order is here

Finally, local scholarships opened the week of January 9th, so if any seniors are interested in going to college make sure that they apply.

Seniors’ time as high school students is coming to an end, so they need to make sure that they stay informed and properly prepare. Make sure that they talk to their senior sponsors, join the Class of 2023 Facebook group, follow their Senior Google Classroom, and check into the guidance office often for all of their senior information. Seniors only have six months left, they can do this!