The Musicians of Herrin High Make Their Winter Debut

“The fact that a group of people can take a bunch of little dots on a page and make something as beautiful and ‘human’ as music has always been amazing to me. It is also an amazing experience to be a part of, and I want all of the students to understand that and feel that way too.” -Mr. J.T. Lewis

The+Herrin+High+School+Band+fills+the+Memorial+Gym+with+Christmas+spirit+using+music.+

Photography, Andrew Anderson

The Herrin High School Band fills the Memorial Gym with Christmas spirit using music.

The band and chorus of Herrin High School both bring music to the students and community at many various events. This school year, the band has already played at all home football and basketball games so far, the House of Hope fundraiser, and the re-opening of Herrin Walmart. Some students in the chorus went to the SIU Choir Festival, and all of the chorus went caroling around the nursing homes, and sang during Herrin Hometown Christmas. In addition to all of these activities, both groups of musicians participated in their annual Christmas Concert just last month.

The next big things that both the band and chorus are looking forward to are the IHSA Solo and Ensemble Contest and their summer trip to Disney. Mrs. Simmons is especially excited for Fine Arts Day at the Elementary school on February 17th, 2023, because the chorus hasn’t been able to celebrate it for the past two years due to Covid-19. When it comes to the IHSA contest, Herrin High usually has one of the highest enrollment as a school. Mrs. Simmons expects that the students who participate will do well because “they always do, they never disappoint.” Mr. Lewis stated that his basic goal for solo and ensemble is that “as many [students participate] as possible,” and to make sure that they put each student (or group of students) in the “best possible position in order for them to be successful, so that by participating they grow their skills as musicians.” 

Mr. Lewis’s hope for the rest of the year is that the kids continue to improve and grow. Mrs. Simmons “always” strives to get more students in the chorus, and her biggest goal is to “make beautiful music that touches people’s hearts.” Mr. Lewis stated, “The fact that a group of people can take a bunch of little dots on a page and make something as beautiful and ‘human’ as music has always been amazing to me. It is also an amazing experience to be a part of, and I want all of the students to understand that and feel that way too.”

Leyten Earl (12) emphasized that the band is a crucial piece in what makes basketball games more enjoyable for spectators. He stated that they “get the crowd going” and provide entertainment when there is downtime. When the chorus sang during Herrin Hometown Christmas, Jarret Coleman (12) said that it made him feel festive, and got him “excited for the upcoming holidays.” Overall, the Tiger Band and Chorus both amplify the school spirit and bring the community together.

Even on December 12th, 2022, both students in band and chorus brought the holiday spirit to our very own Memorial Gym during their seasonal Christmas Concert. The middle school started the event off with their choir singing three pieces and their band playing two. After their performances, it was time for the high schoolers’ debut. 

The members of the Herrin High Chorus sing their hearts out. (Photography, Jeff Johnson)

The chorus students, directed by Mrs. Simmons, began the high school portion of the concert by singing a Catalonian Christmas carol named “Fum Fum Fum” acapella. By the time the first song came to an end, their nervousness began to wear away as they got more comfortable in the spotlight. They then sang “Caroling, Caroling,” which was also acapella. They followed it up with “Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy,” which was originally performed by David Bowie and Bing Crosby. Even though the crowd had cheered for every previous song, the vocalists’ nerves returned, as it was time to sing their final song. The pressure of a perfect, strong finish loomed, but the Singing Tigers pulled through. Their rendition of the “Muppet Christmas Carol Medley” went perfectly, and the students were very happy with their performance.

Ms. Grace’s phenomenal piano playing faded out, and the chorus members who were also part of the band were shooed off of the risers to take their places for the next portion of the concert. Mr. Lewis, the band director, announced that they would be playing “Boughs of Holly.” Jarret Coleman (12) played the drum set and kept the beat, adding a little flare to the song with drum fills. Gabriel Patterson (10) and Noah Pulley (10) then made a duet of the snare drum in “Carol of the Drum.” The final song was “All I Want For Christmas Is You,” which Grant Ellet (12) played the drum set for. The crowd roared in response, and the 2022 Christmas Concert came to a close. 

If you are interested in hearing more from the Tiger Band or Chorus, look into attending the annual Spring Concert.