Honoring All Who Served

Photography, Dylan Felty

The Krasselt family sits with their veteran.

Veteran’s Day occurred on November 11th. Because Herrin High School is out of school to honor the veterans who served for our country, we had a Veterans Day breakfast to honor those who served.

On Thursday November 10th, a breakfast was held for the veterans and their children and grandchildren. At 7:30 am, breakfast started. The veterans and their family and friends got to sit down and enjoy a beautiful morning at Herrin High School. 

As more and more students and faculty filed into the building, Mr. Jeff Johnson, our principal at Herrin High School, gave a speech in the veterans’ honor. Once his speech was concluded, a gracious gift was given to the veterans by the students. The Herrin High School woodshop classes had cut out American Flag eagles and the high school’s art classes painted them. The families of the veterans came up one by one and presented beautiful wooden eagles as a gift of thanks for serving our country.  Some members of the Marine Corps made speeches and were also presented with eagles. 

Danielle Hall (12) brought in her father, Daniel Hall, for the breakfast. He served in the Marines for 4 years. Byron Gross, grandfather to Waylon Hall, was invited to the breakfast. He served in the Army. Emma and Olivia Rushing invited Larry Livingston to join them with the meal. He served for 20 years in South Carolina, Georgia, Hawaii, Kentucky, Washington State, Indiana, Germany, and Australia. Mickey Sanchez brought his dad, Victor Sanchez, who is currently serving. Victor just got back from serving in Hawaii. Austin Gaither and Logan and Samantha Krasselt brought in their grandpa, Jesse McPherson. He served in the Army from 1967-1971.

On this day, we honor those who served our country. Some we lost in battle and most are still with us today. If you ever see a veteran, make sure you thank them for their service. Some kind words can go a long way.