The Impact of Pets on Family Life

Photography, Grant Ellet, Kadie Dunfee

Grant and Kadie pose with their pets.

We had the opportunity to interview some students with pets in their families. 

We sat down with the first student, Aubrey Rash and asked her a couple of questions on the topic of the impact of pets in their family’s life.  When asked what her pets have helped her with in life she said, “Responsibility; I have 15, so it helped a lot.”  Getting a pet can really help bring your family closer together.  Aubrey stated that her family works together to take care of them and that it helped them rely on each other more often than not when it came to the pets.  According to Aubrey, when asked about what her pets mean to her, she told us that they mean the world to her and that she would not change any of them for the world.  Aubrey has five dogs, five guinea pigs, two chinchillas, and three lizards. Aubrey said that pets have heavily impacted her life in the best way possible. 

Another student, Grant Ellet, was asked the same questions and gave us a variety of answers.  He stated that his pets help protect his house and improve his responsibility as well.  Grant’s family also bonds heavily over the pets in his house; he has two dogs named Rufus and Ruby.  Grant’s first pet was a part of his family even before he was born; he said her name was Sidda.  Having a pet has taught him how to care for others. 

Our last student, Kadie Dunfee, has a dog named Pearl, and thinks of her as her heart.  Pearl helped Kadie calm down when her house nearly burned down and stayed with her through all of it.  Kadie was very excited when she first got Pearl and they remain very close to this day.  Pearl cheers her up when she is sad. 

Ultimately, pets help us in more ways than we can count, and they are most people’s way of making it through the day if it gets really rough.  Pets give us more love than we can ever repay, and they hold a special place in each of these students’ hearts. Without pets, some people would not know how to care and respect others.