The Music Department Takes on NYC

Photography, GIna Wagley

Band and Choir students pose in NYC

In the Big Apple, the possibilities are infinite. There are so many attractions and many more new people with whom to visit them. In June of this past summer, some of the members of the band and choir were fortunate enough to experience these possibilities when they visited New York City. 

The band, directed by J.T. Lewis, and the chorus, directed by Jene Simmons, attended the trip to New York City with nearly 50 students, their mission being to perform and study music. The chorus sang on Liberty Island and at the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine. The band played at The Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum. Together, the band and chorus attended a cruise around Liberty Island, visited Times Square, appeared on the Today Show, toured Radio City Music Hall and Top of the Rock, along with learning about new cultures in Little Italy and ChinaTown. 

According to Abby Snider, junior, her favorite part of the trip to New York City was the cruise. “Dancing was so fun and I miss the friends I made on the trip,” states Snider. Abbey Marvel, junior, claims that her favorite part was when “Mia Connor caught a butterball in her mouth on the cruise.” 

Everyone that attended the trip claims to have had the time of their lives. The next band and choir trip will be during the 2020-2021 school year or the summer after it, and Mr. Lewis and Mrs. Simmons couldn’t be more excited to take another once in a lifetime trip with their students.