New Year, New Me?

Students Make Resolutions to Improve Themselves in the New Year

Photography, Olyvia England

Students vow to improve themselves as begin 2019 with a fresh start.

Article, Olyvia England, Photographer, Writer

A lot of people come up with a New Year’s Resolutions to make this year better than the last. Most people like to quit the bad habits that they did in the previous year, like biting their nails or striving to get to the weight they want. High school students always try to make them and keep them because it is crucial in these last four years.

Jadyn Day (9) wants to “focus more on school” and she plans on sticking with it. She described 2018 as “kinda a train wreck” and she thinks 2019 will be much better. She plans to focus more on schools because she “wants good grades.” She does not really believe in the saying, “New Year New Me.” She thinks a person should change because they want to, not because of a New Year.

Molly Mchargue (11) said, “I want to learn to love myself to the level that I deserve,” she really wants to stick with her resolution. She says that, “2019 is the year I think everyone needs to grow up, especially my grade. We’re all turning 17, some of us 18. It’s gonna be a good year. So yes, everything in me hopes that this year will be better than 2018.” Looking back on the previous year, she says, “2018 was a lot. It was a lot of lessons and heartbreak and just truths that were hard to swallow, but I also had so many good things too. So many new people have came into my life this year and I couldn’t be more thankful.” Staying motivated to keep your resolution(s) is hard. Molly says, “Everyone deserves self love and I’ve put myself on the back burner for a long time, and I think it’s time to care for myself and do what’s best for me.” In the saying, new year new me, she says that, “yes anyone can change at any point for the better but people get more motivated at the beginning of the year.”

Bryndle Burks (12) says, “My resolution this year is to get better at time management and to focus on my fitness further than tennis. So far I have stuck with it and I do feel like I’ll continue to.” She says that, “2018 was quite possibly the worst year of my life and 2019 has already been 10x better.”  2018 in her own words, “Was like I continually stepped on legos.” Her motivation to keep her resolution in her words, “My conscious is what is driving me to better myself by sticking to my resolutions.” Bryndle doesn’t really believe in the “new year new me” saying. She says, “I feel like it should be ‘New Year Better Me’.”

It is almost the end of January and these girls have really fought to keep their resolutions. Staying true to your resolutions is a hard thing to do and many more students should try to keep theirs! Good luck, and keep improving!