Checkmate?

Would HHS be interested in a chess club?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Checkmate?

Photography, Mykah Mahan

Photography, Mykah Mahan

Photography, Mykah Mahan

Article, Mykah Mahan, writer

Herrin High School has many academic clubs and activities to offer, such as: math team, scholar bowl, computer/gaming club, book and cinema club, etc.  One club no one considers adding is chess club which is why I’m going to attempt to persuade you to help me make this happen. This article will be focusing mainly on how chess club can be fun, helpful to developing strategies for real-world problems, and how this club could be developed.  

 

Chess was invented in order to entertain, like most board games.  What makes this one different from all the others, however, is that it focuses more on skill and planning.  Unlike most popular board games, it goes by turns at a pace depending on ones skill level. The longer the game lasts, the more one thinks and becomes better.  A casual match should take about 10-60 minutes. Of 20 people asked if they would like a chess club, 14 of them said yes which is 70%. The other 6 said no, 30% of the voters.

 

The one thing most people don’t realize is that chess can teach new tactics that one can use to his/her advantage.  Tactics are crucial when involved in the military which can determine the outcome of a battle or even a war. The goal of chess is to take the other player’s king.  Without a king, everyone who serves below him will have no purpose in the king’s army, leaving it to withstand a swift blow from the inside. This is why players protect kings at all costs.  A real-life scenario could be related to a plot involving the president of any country. If he/she falls then the country loses control and balance. This is just one common strategy used in such a unique game.  Many more are used and still being constructed.

 

Creating an official chess club will need to meet certain requirements.  It must be sponsored by a teacher/faculty member. Without that individual, the chess club will not be created.  A chess club will also more than likely require a certain number of students to approve this choice with their signatures.  Signatures show that specific students want a change in the system and will thus more likely be shown to the school board for an executive decision.  Finally, it will need to be funded through fundraisers and/or donations. There is also a policy that states academic clubs are “pay to play” which means students will have to pay a small fee of around $20 or more.

 

Overall, some students may not want a chess club, but they must consider that others do.  Just because some are trying to create a club doesn’t necessarily mean everyone must join.  Chess club isn’t being created to make anything or anyone look bad, so nothing can really be held against it except opinions.  The main purpose of it is mainly to have fun and relax. Is that too much to ask for? Help yourself by helping others, and help make this work.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email