Health by Ridgway

Mental and Physical Updates from a Peer

Article, Reagan Ridgway, Staff Writer

Welcome Back!

Hi, my name is Reagan Ridgway and I am a senior here at Herrin High School.  I am interested in all aspects of human health and plan on majoring in nutritional science.  In these publications, I’m going to be giving advice and tips to hopefully help everyone become better versions of themselves.  Health is just as much mental as it is physical and both need to be taken seriously. In addition, good health is about doing the little things everyday.  Try getting a single cheeseburger instead of a double, give someone a compliment, skip Fortnite for a walk outside, listen to a podcast on the way to school, and even try doing a home workout before you shower.  

The back to school season can be a very stressful time.  Whether it be finding your classes, making new friends, fall sports, homework, homecoming, or social life, high schoolers have a lot going on (don’t let anyone tell you they don’t!).  According to a study done by NYU, “Nearly half (49%) of all high school students reported feeling a great deal of stress on a daily basis and 31 percent reported feeling somewhat stressed”.  It is so important to give yourself breaks often. Remember that no one is perfect and it is more than okay to make mistakes. Be gentle on yourself and know that trying your best is good too.