Flags Finish Proud

Herrin Flag Team

Article, Shanie May, Writer

Despite a few setbacks, the flag team finished their year with outstanding success. 

As final minutes were closing on the 2017-2018 season for these girls, their emotions were running high waiting to see if all the hard work and dedication they had put into this year would pay off. The team took two routines to state this year, a Tall Flag and Lyrical Flag.

At IDTA State competition (Illinois Dance Team Association), the girls placed second with their Tall Flag routine to the cover The Weekend did to the song Dirty Diana from Michael Jackson.  

The girls also placed third with their Lyrical Flag routine to How to save a life by The Fray. The team wanted the dance world to really understand lyrical and understand the story they were trying to tell.

Not only did the team take home hardware, but two of the six members of this year’s team also competed as soloists. Allison Berry, a junior, performed her solo to Drops of Jupiter. She took fourth place in the state for her solo flag routine. Allison was not only excited to have received her place but very shocked!  She was very proud of her self for going out there and performing.

Cecily Smith, senior, also performed a solo routine. She performed her flag solo to Vibe and was awarded FIRST place overall in the flag soloist category. This outstanding achievement also lays the crown of Miss IDTA Flag on her head.

These accomplishments would not have been attained had the girls not kept their heart in the season. Their year started over the summer with conditioning and learning the basics before football season. In the midst of football games, pep rallies and competing at six different IDTA Regional competitions, the Herrin Flags hosted the first ever IDTA Regional competition at Herrin High School.

It will be hard to compare to this year, but the coaches are ready to expand the team to more girls next year and accomplish more as a team.  They are also ready to try and get first place at state next year!