Did Somebody Say “Horse”???

The Cowboys and Cowgirls of Herrin High.

Bryndle+Burks+%2811%29+pushes+her+horse+to+run+home+after+turning+the+third+barrel.+

Photography, Cynda Danley

Bryndle Burks (11) pushes her horse to run home after turning the third barrel.

Article, Bryndle Burks, Yearbook Editor/Staff Writer

Living in Southern Illinois, one may think that horses are a common thing, but how much do people at Herrin High really know about the horsemen and horsewomen at HHS? The Journalism Crew asked a hand full of horse-people at Herrin High what their sports are all about.

Chance Karnes, a sophomore at Herrin High, competes in cutting and ranch sorting. Cutting is an event in which a herd of cattle are placed in a pen or arena. A rider on a horse picks out a cow and has the objective of herding this cow a certain distance away from the rest of the herd. The rider then uses his or her legs to control the horse back and forth, staying with the cow. The goal is to work three cows in the two and half minutes allowed. Sorting, a year round event, consists of 11 cows in a 40 by 40 round pen. Ten cows are number zero through nine and one cow is left without a number. The objective is to sort out the cows out in order with a time limit. “I don’t get nervous anymore after doing it for so long.” says Karnes. “I just keep in mind that I can win this thing.” Karnes’s biggest accomplishment is placing in the top 20 in Texas.

Barrel racing is another horse affiliated sport that a few students at Herrin High compete in. Barrel racing involves 3 barrels set up in a triangle. A horse and rider run through the barrels in a cloverleaf pattern and the fastest time wins. Bryndle Burks, a junior at HHS competes with the International Barrel Racing Association at both local and big events in arenas from Christopher, Illinois to Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

This spring head out to one of the many local arenas to catch the cowboys and cowgirls of Herrin High in action.