Tiger Tattler

Our Goal? … Stopping Yours!

Herrin/Carterville Boys Soccer Season Opens

Article, Gina Wagley, Writer

The boys soccer team kicks off the season with two wins and two losses; one win, zero losses, when their tournament in Carbondale on August 24th and 25th is not included. Members of the team have stated that all the players, both Herrin and Carterville, are all getting along on and off the field, cooperating together almost perfectly.

Coach Lennox is working with the team on possession, movement improvement, and also passing and sharing the ball fairly. While the boys help to better each other on the field, Coach Lennox does anything but sit back and observe. According to senior, Lucas Bailie, Coach Lennox pushes his players to their limits and trains them to discover and perfect their strengths– “he was the wake up call our team needed,” Bailie states.

Every boy on the team has a different reason for pursuing soccer throughout their high school careers, all ranging from routine to a love and dependance on the sport. From old coaches, Lennox himself, other teammates, and pro league players, these young men have grown to respect and appreciate every aspect of their influential and motivational figures.

At the home game at Carterville on August 28th against the Marion Wildcats, both teams played their hearts out and left everything on the field– an intense game that resulted in Herrin losing 0-1. Even through their loss, the boys stayed dependent and faithful in each other and their team as a whole.

According to everyone participating this season, a win for the regional championship is greatly desired, and they are ALL ready to put in the work needed to get the team to that point. Junior, Jake Baumgarte, believes the pressure falls on this season’s team to make Tiger/Lion history and “build a better team for the future soccer players and all future students at Herrin to be proud of.”