Writing For the Little Ones

Back to Article
Back to Article

Writing For the Little Ones

Mrs. Johnsons 1st grade class and Mrs. Wilsons creative writing class take pictures with their books!

Photography, Shanie May

Photography, Shanie May

Photography, Shanie May

Article, Shanie May, Writer

• Elanyia Gilly reads books with her students

Photography, Xun Liu

• Mrs. Johnsons 1st grade class and Mrs. Wilsons creative writing class take pictures with their books!

Photography, Shanie May

• Carla Williams lets her student read her a book.

Photography, Xun Liu

• Svaine vanZandt talks to his student about the story.

Photography, Xun Liu

• Mary Yates shows her story to the kids.

Photography, xun liu

• Destiny Hosman reads her book to her student.

Photography, xun liu

• Anthony Fasano reads his book to the first grade class

Photography, xun liu

Herrin High School’s Creative Writing class taught by Mrs. Wilson did a very special project at the end of the year.  Each student in the class got a name of a kid from Mrs. Johnson’s 1st grade class. They found out what the kid liked, his or her favorite color, and what they enjoy to do!  Then the high school students took on the task, writing a book for that child! All of the books were about teaching the 1st grade students morals in life. Mrs. Wilson started this project after an acquaintance of her and informed her about it from another school.  Mrs. Wilson decided to bring the project to Herrin High School for the students and the little kids to enjoy.

Soon after the project was done the class took a walk over to the North Side Primary School to read the books to their students.  Each of the kids enjoyed their book and loved their author! When they got done reading their books the 1st graders and high school students, enjoyed juice boxes and talking about princesses, cats, and all other topics of the stories told that day.  Elaina Gilley states that she enjoyed doing this project because “kids need to know reading can be fun and they should do it more often.”

This project the Creative Writing Class does at Herrin High School helps high school students work with the community, learn different types of writing, and help introduce the students into a creative way to write by using their imagination. The class also does a play, children’s literature, short stories, and many different types of poetry throughout the semester.  Mrs. Wilson is the most qualified teacher for the Creative Writing Class since she had a Master’s degree in Fine Arts, and enjoys writing. Mrs. Wilson’s main reason for wanting to teach creative writing is because “Creativity is important.”