The Magic Is Over

See You Next October…

Looking gorgeous as always HHS’s Homecoming Queen, Kaiyah King poses in front of Herrin High School before the parade on Friday

Article, Shanie May, Writer/Photographer

The chaotic, fun and most school spirited week is over.  Homecoming week this year was a time  to remember. During Spirit Week, the students participated with eager energy, while creating memories and multiple costumes!

All four classes worked extremely hard on their class floats in competition for the first place title. The Seniors, ultimately, came out on top for the best class float. Congratulations Class of 2018, “Blow Those Redbirds to the Tide.”

During the annual Homecoming Coronation on Thursday all of the girls were absolutely beautiful, and the boys were just as handsome.  All of the queen candidates were worthy of the honor; however, the final count granted Madison Cerutti the title of  Maid of Honor and the 2017-2018 Homecoming Queen to Kaiyah King.

Kaiyah was stunning on Thursday and the received title was well deserved.  When asked if she was expecting it, Kaiyah said, “No, all four of us girls are really close friends, and I personally thought any of us would receive queen.”  

Kaiyah felt excitement after being announced queen and, overall, just shocked! Kaiyah’s family reactions were exactly how everyone’s parents would have reacted if their daughter received queen. They were standing, jumping, screaming and hollering for her. 

Kaiyah has a few words for her peers, “Thank you guys so much for being so supportive, I am so happy and proud to be the HHS Homecoming Queen of 2017!”

Friday was a pep rally no one will forget.  Everybody got very emotional and stood up to support Mr. Johnson on his return to Herrin High after a long recovery.  Welcome back, Mr. Johnston; everyone has missed you!

Also at the pep rally there were fantastic performances from the cheer, drill, and flag teams. The spirit squads always bring pep to any event. 

After all the Mr. Homecoming candidates competed with amazing talents and a fantastic all male dance routine, the students voted on a 2017 Mr. Homecoming by cheering loudly for their favorite candidate. Congratulations goes out to Bronson Nesler for being this year’s Mr. Homecoming. No one will ever forget Nesler’s fierce fidgeting and that awesome moonwalk!  

Later that night, at the game, the Herrin Tigers really did blow the Redbirds to the tide with a 52-6 win.  During half-time, all homecoming court and honored guests were paraded around the track, as well as our newly crowned queen and maid of honor. The class float rankings were also announced during this time. .

On the final day of this magical spirit week, students dressed up in their best attire to attend the Homecoming Dance.  The decor was absolutely beautiful thanks to the Student Government members’ and sponsor’s hard work.  The decor consisted of multiple Disney characters, balloons and 100 gallons of punch!  The dance floor was full with lots of “dancing,” as most would title the style. Teachers had to turn all the lights on to get everyone to end the night at 11. No one was ready to leave.

Now that Homecoming Week is over let us remember all of the magical moments we shared with our friends and teachers. You only have four Homecomings within your high school career, make them worth something.

A quote from Walt Disney best describes Homecoming this year: “I suppose my formula might be: dream, diversify, and never miss an angle.” 

It is most certain that no one missed an angle this year at Homecoming. *wink*