Hitting The Notes

Photography, Grace Hosmon
The brass section waits for their cew from director, JTLewis

Article, Grace Hosmon, Writer,Photographer

The beginning of the year started in the band room and outside for band camp. Band camp consists of a one consistent week of band; freshmen learning how to march, seasoned band members refreshing their skills, and, overall, the band learns how to play as a whole. 

Around Homecoming time, Herrin High School band marches a mile from the high school to the middle school for the parade. To prepare, the band practices marching on the road by the band room.  Marching is a lot of work; one must keep in step, keep  instruments raised and stay on beat. The band performs at the football and basketball games, as well as Special Olympics and Herrin Elementary School’s annual “Fine Arts Day,” playing Tiger Rag, loyalty, traditional pep rally songs and current contest songs.

The drum majors selected this year were Dylan King, Kennedy Pasley, and Sydney Dix. The students chosen by Mr. Lewis (band teacher) are usually seniors. Their job is to direct the band during football and basketball season, contests and parades.

This 2018 year, the band traveled to Nashville, Illinois in April to compete against other schools with the following three songs: “Blessed are They,” “Fairest of the Fair,” and “Fate of the Gods”. Finishing off a successful year, the band placed “superior.”

Saying goodbye to the class of 2018, the band will perform “Pomp And Circumstance” known as the “Graduation Song”  to say goodbye and close the memories up until the next year.