Journalism Domination

Grinning+for+the+camera%2C+Herrin+Highs+journalism+kids+sport+their+Tiger+pride+at+the+SISPA+Winter+Conference.+

Photography, Mrs. Goetting

Grinning for the camera, Herrin High’s journalism kids sport their Tiger pride at the SISPA Winter Conference.

Article, Sydney Lewis, Editor

The past few days have been a busy bunch for Herrin High’s journalism kids, but they were filled with much more than yearbook page checks and newspaper deadlines. Last Wednesday the journalism class and a few club members traveled to SIU for the all day SISPA (Southern Illinois School Press Association) Winter Conference where they competed in a wide variety of events. Some of the events included copy editing, review writing, cartooning, yearbook sports copy, and editorial writing. Three class member placed first in their events.  Editor, Bryndle Burks took home the gold in the photography category.  The 18 students that competed in this event were given instructions to capture what goes on at the SISPA conference in five pictures. The Tigers also placed first in Yearbook Theme Development. Sophomore, Gina Church, and Junior, Sophia Davie created a yearbook cover and title page with the theme “pause for the moments” and mascot Huskies. The group also took home a Blue Banner award for their online publication site (the one you are reading this on).

On the 21st of April, the Journalism class members will return to SIU to compete in the sectional round of the IHSA Journalism competition.  These events will be the same as the SISPA events put the qualifying students will have the opportunity to advance to the state wide competition in Springfield.